Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Geordie's Mingin Medicine (Itchy Coo) [Paperback] by Matthew Fitt

We called in to our local library to browse. My daughter decided to borrow this book. What a laugh we have had in reading to each other.

Geordie's Mingin Medicine (Itchy Coo) [Paperback] A Translation into Scots of Roald Dahl's much loved "George's Marvellous Medicine" by Matthew Fitt.

Matthew Fitt is a novelist, poet and translator. Matthew was born in Dundee in 1968.

"I like to write about a wide range of subjects and to switch between poetry and prose. I suppose the strongest theme in my writing is to make language exciting and fresh. I've written so far about floods, hurricanes, virtual polis, wee pigs, coos on loos, muckle monsters, Italian cafes, medieval merchants, pawkie provosts, upside doon puggies, crabbit grannies and a bing of the other stuff. Histories, translations, anthologies, education packs, radio scripts, short stories and poetry films are all things I've tried my hand at and have enjoyed doing."

Matthew's translation is a gem and enhances the story particularly if you wish to ken the rich Scots language. I have no hesitation in recommending it for an entertaining children's book.
A close friend Harvey Holton said "just say it as you read it" then you've got it.

RRP: £4.99
Price: £4.19 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK with Super Saver Delivery.
A great buy for a Christmas pressie. Geordie's Mingin Medicine (Itchy Coo)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lovely that You could share that with your daughter, treasure that. From down South.