Monday, July 06, 2009

Butterflies North Fife July 2009

Butterflies North fife. Earlier in the year I noticed orange tips, a recent variety joining small whites but on the whole numbers a very much down in all kinds whatever the causes. Could be I don't get out enough to see.

A red Admiral sunning in the garden at Flisk North Fife.


a ringlet at rest on bracken.

A ringlet sunning in between showers.

A review :-
I have only recently decided to take my interest in butterflies further by trying to learn more about them, and to attempt to identify them on sight alone. Because of this, I quickly started looking for a handy guide to the butterflies of Britain, and finally decided upon this one. I am glad I chose this as my beginning in discovering and learning more about these beautiful creatures.

The guide is put together very well. Each butterfly has 2 pages devoted to it. Information included about each butterfly consists of a small map of Great Britain to show where the butterfly can be found, colour illustrations of both the male and the female, as well as showing the colours and markings of the underside of the wings, as well as details of what stage they are in during which months of the year.
At the beginning of the guide, the structure of a butterfly is described and illustrated, along with information about the life cycle.
The author has also explained the butterfly families, as each butterfly is to be found within their family group.

For a small book, this has lots of valuable information. I am sure that I shall quickly pick up the skills to identify them and that I shall soon be on the way to knowing more about them - their eating and mating habits for example.
Although I chose this guide so as to introduce me slowly to butterflies by just concentrating on my own country, it has certainly helped to even further my interest and want to learn more about butterflies throughout the world. Pocket Guide to the Butterflies of Great Britain and Ireland
.

No comments: